Monday, September 7, 2015

I'm Not as Strong as I Sometimes Appear

I haven't put much thought into this post. So if what I'm writing ends up sounding like some kind of stream of consciousness rambling, I apologize.

One thing I've heard a lot from people over the last couple/few years is how strong I am. How I've gone through difficult things in my life but have handled it so well.

Here's a secret: I'm not as strong as I sometimes appear. In fact, I'm really not that strong at all.

I've been going through some tough times of late. I haven't written about them because I just don't want to. But over the last several weeks I've come to view myself as something of a hypocrite, because I can't seem to practice what I preach.

I write blogs that tell people how they should act. Live in the moment. Don't let the small stuff bother you. Practice self-care. But recently I've done anything but those things. Instead, I've let the shit going on in my world get the best of me.

Yesterday, while my wife was out of town, I honestly thought I was going to have a breakdown. I confess: I served my younger son his dinner with tears rolling down my cheeks.

Today? More of the same: stress, anxiety, fear, and lots of self-loathing.

I'm kind of a mess.

Maybe it's some kind of reaction to my being completely off of Klonopin now. (It's been a little less than a week.) I've also reduced the dosage of my anti-depressant--with my doctor's permission--so maybe my body and brain are adjusting to that, too. I'll give it another week or so and see how things are going then.

But the main point of this post is to come clean and let you know that I'm not this pillar of strength with a big shield that allows me to repel all the troubles and negative feelings that come my way. Not even close. I'm just as vulnerable as anybody else; at times, maybe even more so. I still carry around a lot of baggage, and sometimes the weight of that baggage puts a tremendous strain on me.

I know that it's okay to hurt. I know that it's okay to cry. I know that this, too, shall pass. But that doesn't make it any easier.

Namaste.

"If you have a body, you are entitled to the full range of feelings. It comes with the package." --Anne Lamott

2 comments:

  1. Everyone has cracks no matter how strong. I tend to write with analogies. Look at the Washington Monument in DC. An earthquake shook that monument, serious work was done and it came back. Not the same but still strong. We went to Mt. Rushmore a few years ago. It struck me odd that this granite mountain with these carvings still needed constant and ongoing maintenance. Cracks are repaired and washing is done all the time.

    Even the things we see as permanent and forever still need care. Just like these things made of solid rock need care our flesh and blood and our mental health need maintenance also. Self care is something we all must learn to practice regularly and be strong enough to admit when we need maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that getting off klonopin can be quite brutal,......so perhaps your emotions are a result of that. I wouldn't think you'd have to go off an antidepressant at the same time as that would make it even harder. I'm sorry you're feeling bad,....but better days can most surely be ahead. You've been through quite a tough journey. I'm a parent of an addict that's also better now,,,,and I know how those dark days feelings can linger,...despite your current gratitude. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete