Thursday, January 22, 2015

Back with Heroes in Recovery for 2015

Despite being out of work, my life has been pretty busy over the last couple of months. So sometimes I forget to update people on what's going on with me. Or sometimes I post a status update on Facebook about something, and intend to blog about it later. But then I forget to do that, too. Maybe my brain is just too full. Or maybe the forgetfulness is a part of manopause.

In any case, I don't think I blogged about being selected to be a Heroes in Recovery lead advocate again for 2015. I absolutely loved my Heroes experience in 2014 and I'm so honored and excited to have been asked back.

If you don't already know, Heroes in Recovery is a grassroots movement determined to break the stigma that surrounds addiction and mental health issues. By sharing real stories of recovery online and holding events across the United States--including several 6K races (that extra K is for recovery!)--Heroes raises awareness and sparks conversation. Our goal is to inspire the 20 million people in the United States who are suffering in silence from addiction or co-occurring disorders to seek the treatment they need.

This year I'll be working with seven other lead advocates from all around the country, along with our fearless leader. We will gather stories from people in recovery, write blogs, host events, and spread the word that seeking treatment is nothing to be ashamed of, and that recovery can and does happen.

I'm so looking forward to heading to Nashville the weekend of February 19th for our lead advocate summit. I can't wait to be reunited with the two other returning lead advocates and meet the five new members of our team. Doing great work with great people in a great city makes for a truly rewarding weekend.

If you'd like to share a story of recovery on the Heroes in Recovery website, please get in touch with me. I can help you through the process. Whether your story is about your own recovery or that of a loved one, I can assure you that it will go a long way toward helping people who read it. Your story may convince someone who's on the fence about recovery to finally take that first step. So please consider sharing. (Note: You can reach me by using the "Contact Form" in the righthand column of the web version of this blog. It's right under the list of "Most Popular Posts.")

My passion in life is helping others, and serving a second term as a Heroes in Recovery lead advocate will allow me to keep doing that in 2015. For that I am incredibly grateful.

Peace.

P.S. I've written quite a few blogs for the Heroes in Recovery site. (And there will be more to come!) You can access them all in my author archive at this link:

http://www.heroesinrecovery.com/blog/author/dean-d/

I've also shared a few stories of my own on the site. If you want to read them, here are the links:

http://www.heroesinrecovery.com/stories/dean-d-s-story/

http://www.heroesinrecovery.com/stories/son-addiction-strengthened-family/

http://www.heroesinrecovery.com/stories/greatest-gift-ask-sons-sobriety/

In addition, my wife and younger son have also shared their stories:

http://www.heroesinrecovery.com/stories/top-10-things-helped-navigate-rollercoaster-sons-addiction/

http://www.heroesinrecovery.com/stories/addiction-seen-younger-sibling/

No comments:

Post a Comment