Saturday, January 25, 2014

Exciting News!

I wanted to take a few minutes to share some exciting news with everyone!

I am incredibly honored to have been chosen as one of six Lead Advocates for 2014 for an incredible organization called Heroes in Recovery.

Heroes in Recovery (HIR) is "a movement ignited by Foundations Recovery Network and the widespread community of those who are in recovery from addiction and co-occurring disorders. Heroes in Recovery has a simple mission: to eliminate the social stigma that keeps individuals with addiction and mental health issues from seeking help, to share stories of recovery for the purpose of encouragement and inspiration, and to create an engaged sober community that empowers people to get involved, give back, and live healthy, active lives."

The Lead Advocates for HIR "carry the torch for the Heroes movement. Their job is deeply important: They share their stories, collect the stories of others, blog on the Heroes site, help out with races, and ultimately seek to inspire all those around them to break the stigma surrounding addiction and mental health issues."

So the weekend of February 9th, I'm off to Nashville--where HIR is based-- to attend a summit and train with HIR staff and the other five Lead Advocates for this year.

Words can't describe how excited I am for this opportunity. When I found out I had "made the team," I literally jumped for joy. I am so very passionate about breaking the stigma. I can't wait to start working with HIR and my new colleagues!

Look out, stigma! We're coming for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment