Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Son #2 is heading north

We just received word today that our younger son (he's 16) was accepted into a wonderful therapeutic school in northern Michigan that specializes in teaching kids with ADD/ADHD. The last two years in public high school have been very difficult for him, even with an Individualized Education Program (IEP) in place. Yes, the school made certain accommodations for him; but he was still being taught in a mainstream classroom. And that type of learning didn't work for him.

The school he'll be attending this year is incredibly expensive. Even with a substantial amount of financial assistance, I'm not totally sure we'll be able to afford the tuition and board. But my wife and I are committed to getting our #2 son the best education possible. We don't want him to just skate by and barely pass in a public high school. We want educators who know how to teach ADHD kids to bring out the wealth of intelligence, creativity, and potential that lives inside our son.

After touring the school last week, our son said he thought going there could be "life changing" for him. My wife and I agree and are willing to make whatever sacrifices we have to in order to give him this opportunity. He'll be in a beautiful setting--right on the shores of Lake Michigan--and will be experiencing a unique, hands-on type of learning.

Gotta run now. We have to leave bright and early Friday morning to go up north, because we have to deliver our son to school on Saturday morning. That doesn't leave much time to shop for a boatload of things, pack, etc. This all happened so quickly. But we're so very glad it happened. (Although, as of Saturday afternoon my wife and I will be "empty nesters." That is going to be very strange.)

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." --Confucius

1 comment: