Thursday, April 19, 2012

Living in the moment

I'm very happy to report that the last few days have been great ones. My son seems to be doing extremely well in his new sober living house. I think the painting job really helps, too, by keeping him occupied during the day and giving him a feeling of independence and self-worth.

The other day, my son walked over to our house to pick up a book I had bought for him. I asked him if he wanted a ride back to his house and he accepted my offer. When we got there, he asked me to come in for a tour. The house is really nice. It even has a koi pond in the backyard. Very peaceful and relaxing.

When I was leaving, I said to my son, "Make smart decisions." His reply? "I will. I can't afford not to at this point." I think he might finally be "getting" it.

In any case, I'm trying my best to live in the moment. I'm not lamenting about the past. Or worrying about the future. I'm just enjoying the here and now. One day at a time. And it feels incredibly good.

3 comments:

  1. So glad to hear the "here and now" is good to you. Thanks for sharing your hope. Praying he really is getting it. Pray that my own son does as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so glad I found your blog,thank you. My son has been through 2 rehabs and just got kicked out of his sober house last night,I have told him he would have no place to go if that happend and now, here we are. Im having a real hard time preparing (making) myself to do what you have done,I hope I am able,you have given me encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous... I'm glad I've given you encouragement. Be strong. It was the hardest thing my wife and I have ever done. But we think it was right decision, and we're very proud for having stood our ground. Good luck to you and your boy.

      Delete