Thursday, April 2, 2009

Peaks and valleys

Yesterday, my son had to give a presentation in his psychology class. This presentation is something he had had a few weeks to work on and I hadn't seen much evidence of him having worked on it. Of course, he has a lot of time between classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, so there was always the possibility that he was working on it at school. Regardless, I only asked him about the project a couple of times. Was I concerned that he wasn't going to do it? Sure. Did I want to try and control things and keep tabs on my son's progress on the project? Absolutely. But I didn't.

Well, last night when I got home from work I found out that my son gave his presentation and got 50 out of a possible 50 points. That translated to an A+. How cool is that? I am incredibly proud and hope that my son's confidence gets a boost from this success.

That was the peak. Now for the valleys.

After the high of the A+ presentation yesterday, my son failed to get up for his 9:00 class this morning. He said he didn't feel well. He also missed this class on Tuesday, which is the only other day of the week the class meets. Missing both classes in one week can't be good, especially since he's missed this class several times already. I guess we'll just have to see what happens from here on out. Hopefully he can pass the class. But if he can't, maybe there's a life lesson to be learned from it.

The other valley is the fact that my son blew off his weekly IOP (Intensive Outpatient) therapy program at Brighton Hospital today, too. I don't know what to make of that. Maybe he didn't feel well. And maybe he had other reasons for not going. Does part of me wonder if he stayed home today to avoid the weekly drug test? Absolutely. But if that's the case--and I truly hope it's not--things will catch up with him eventually. For my sake, I have to try to stop worrying. I have to take care of myself. To worry constantly just isn't healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment