Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's official: $6,880.02

I talked to the woman at Brighton Hospital today. Of the $9,300.00 I actually paid out of pocket for my son's two-week rehab stint, I am going to be refunded $6,880.02. (I thought I had paid more out of pocket than I actually had, because the Blue Cross web site listed the total claim amount as just over $12,000.00. But that's what the hospital billed Blue Cross per their contract; not what I had paid out of pocket.)

I can't tell you how happy this makes me. For the last four months or so, I thought I was out that money for good. It just goes to show you: Don't ever take "That's not covered" as a final answer from your insurance company. Yes, it was a bit of a hassle to fight this claim via e-mails and telephone calls, but I ended up getting 74 percent of my money back. And in these tough financial times, that's huge.

1 comment:

  1. Dean,

    You don't know me, but I feel like I kind of know you. I followed you here from RAA (been a member since 10/07), I basically lurk there but I've always enjoyed reading your posts.

    I have two kids, 21 and 23 years old. I can't imagine the pain you're going through, but having somewhat of an addictive/depressive personality myself, you've helped me see what I put my parents through many, many years ago. And what I put my wife through not too many years ago...

    Thank God, my kids (can I still call them kids when they're in their 20's??) haven't gone down the same path I did; I don't know if it was just the luck of the draw or the 'good' DNA of my wife, or just cosmic intervention...

    I'm happy for you that you fought the good fight with the insurance company and came out on top - well done.

    My prayers are with you and your family, I wish you the best.

    ed

    ReplyDelete