Thursday, January 29, 2009

School daze

My kid blew off school again today. Very frustrating. (Actually, way beyond frustrating.) When I was going to college, I had to take out student loans in order to go. Twenty-some years later, here I am paying for my son's classes and books, and he can't do me the courtesy of actually going to class. Yes, it's an early class (9:00am). But he's the one who picked it. No one held a gun to his head and told him to choose an early morning class. Hell, I even told him--after he couldn't get up for class the first time--to drop the class and replace it with something that met later in the day. But he said he was going to go. Oh, well. Like everything else in my crazy life, it is what it is. In any case, while I was listening to my iPod at work today, these lyrics from "Chinese Translation" by M. Ward hit me like a ton of bricks. I'd like to permanently engrave them on the inside of my kid's eyelids:

"See I once was a young fool like you
Afraid to do the things
That I knew I had to do
So I played an escapade just like you
I played an escapade just like you..."

Maybe someday something will click inside my son's head. I sure hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment